History of St George's School for Girls
Equality in Education
St George's High School for Girls was founded in 1888 by a group of women, led by Dame Sarah Mair, who had themselves been denied access to the universities. They had already been campaigning for over twenty years for equal provision in education for women and girls.
In 1876 they set up 'St George's Hall Classes' to provide teaching up to university level, either by attendance in Edinburgh or by correspondence courses.
First Training College in Scotland for Secondary School Teachers
Ten years later in 1886, they started the first training college in Scotland for women teachers in secondary schools. This was followed in 1888 with the creation of St George's School for Girls which put the finishing touches to their system.
Four years later, the Scottish universities finally admitted women and St George's students were among the first Edinburgh University graduates.
The early days in Melville Street
The school began in October 1888 in a converted house in Melville Street in the centre of Edinburgh, with Miss Walker as the first Headmistress. It had only fifty pupils. By 1914 it needed space for over three hundred and moved to a new, purpose built school on its present site in Ravelston and Murrayfield.
Members of the Original St George’s Committee in 1888.
Miss Dundas, Miss Robertson, Miss Mair (Top Row),
Miss Urquhart and Miss Robertson (Bottom Row)