Support for Learning
Learning Support at St George’s All-Girls School
The Faculty of Support for Learning is responsible for the additional support needs of students from nursery to Upper Six (S6), with a focus on overcoming barriers to learning that are experienced. Learning support is ongoing for some students and temporary for others.
Our main goal is to ensure every student is properly supported to the level that they need. Our supported learning service works in the following way:
- Support for Learning’s broad role allows support of individual progression through school with a joined-up thinking approach as academic and pastoral needs are inseparable. Our team’s structure ensures transitions are well-co-ordinated as pupils move through school.
- All students are supported in an inclusive and as individual a manner as possible.
- Support for Learning is flexible and can begin as early as Nursery or as late as Sixth Form. If you have not received learning support in the early stages of education but find that it is required at a later stage, we will be happy to accommodate you.
Learning Support and Teaching
- Provision is made through small group teaching and cooperative teaching from P1 to Upper Five, with tutorial provision in Lower 6 and Upper 6.
- Highly qualified and experienced staff who specialise in Support for Learning ensure that students are appropriately supported and achieve their potential.
All students, except Upper 5 and Sixth Form, who receive ongoing input from Support for Learning develop learning outcomes in an Additional Support Plan.
These are developed at the start of each session and reviewed with students and parents in February and at the end of the session or following major internal examinations in Upper School.