Nursery » Why Our Nursery?
Early Years Nursery in Edinburgh
Here are some of the reasons why we think you should consider St George's pre-school nursery education.
What you get for our fees
- An exceptional Early Years education and care
- 15 acres of secure, parkland campus for Outdoor Learning
- Morning and day sessions with wrap-around care from 7.45 am – 6.00 pm and holiday club
- Personalised and individual attention
- Small nursery of up to 56 girls and boys
- Flexibility to add extra hours and sessions
- Freshly made healthy hot meals and snacks prepared on campus – Healthy Eating Plus Award
- We are currently an Early Learning and Childcare Partner Provider for the City of Edinburgh Council. There is no change for August 2020 as Nursery Partnership funding will remain in place for session 2020/2021. We will continue to monitor our partnership with our local authority. While we value our partnership links we have a desire to maintain our high standards of quality and care, and excellent staffing ratios which include two teachers within the nursery. Any future decisions will not be taken lightly and we will keep parents informed.
- Sector-leading curriculum (rated ‘Excellent’ as a whole school curriculum in the most recent Education Scotland Inspection)
- Rated 'Very Good' in latest Nursery Care Inspection
- Extensive child-centred Learning through Play programme
- Pre-literacy, pre-writing and pre-numeracy skills
- Programme of progressive development for each child recorded through individual Learning Journals
- Specialists in Outdoor Learning: outdoor forest-style classrooms including our Fantastical Forest
- Outdoor learning experiences across all areas of the curriculum
Transition to Primary 1
- The Nursery is part of St George's School - the only all-through girls' school in Edinburgh
- Smooth transition to Primary 1 - our most recent inspection report identified our management of transitions as outstanding
- Friendly atmosphere with a low staff to pupil ratio and strong parent/teacher partnerships
- Two qualified primary school teachers supported by experienced Early Years professionals
- Experienced Head of Nursery with 10 years of teaching in the Junior School
- Staff specialists in Froebel and graphic design techniques
- A dedicated programme of continual investment in staff training
- Bi-lingual staff; Greek, Portuguese and Swedish
- Access to Junior School Learning Support for English as a Foreign Language lessons
- Specialist teaching in PE and music
- Regular opportunities in drama, art, dance, cooking, woodwork and science
- Afternoon outings in the local community including to the beach and Murrayfield House Care Home
Grounds and Facilities
- Some of the best private nursery indoor and outdoor learning play spaces in Edinburgh
- The nursery is an integral part of St George’s Junior School housed in a wing of the Junior School
- Spacious playrooms with a wide range of modern resources which are regularly updated including a wooden play-house, baking, dressing-up, messy play and more
- Use of Junior School facilities including the library, music room, Junior School gym and children enjoy lunch in the school dining room
- Green Flag Eco-School status
- Medical centre on-site with paediatric first aid trained staff
- Celebration of festivals, events and performances for parents throughout the year: Nativity, Autumn and Spring concerts, sports day, Graduation, visiting authors, story-telling, stay and play sessions, religious and cultural festivals.
- Biannual parent consultations and annual formal written report
- Strong partnerships with parents are one of our hallmarks.
- The nursery team enjoy speaking with parents each day at drop off and collection times.
- Parents are given feedback on a daily basis in person and via our Learning Journals. We also provide parents' meetings and written reports.
- Parents can also keep up to date by following our Nursery news on the website and our social media on Instagram.
Additional nursery costs
- Additional hours
- Ballet classes
- Breakfast and after school care
"Our expectations on our first visit were high and we were not disappointed. We felt this was the best nursery for our daughter. She is so happy here." Current Parent
Book a visit today by calling T: 0131 311 8008
Looking for more resources?
Read our feature articles written by our Junior School staff on:
› The Benefits of Nursery - Lisa Nettleton, Head of Nursery, discusses what your child can expect from attending our nursery and how this prepares children for the school experience.
› The importance of play in the pre-school year: key facts every parent should consider