Blogs and News - St George's School, Edinburgh
Primary 4 have been learning about the experiences of children being evacuated from the cities in World War II. We had a really exciting week, with two events organised for us to participate in.
On Tuesday, we visited the Drama department and with Mrs Nicol to do some WWII drama. We acted out frozen pictures where we had to enact activities such as packing our bags, sorting out the children, putting on our gas masks and pretending to take cover from a bombing raid in an Anderson Shelter.
Then on Wednesday we came to school dressed as evacuees. The costumes were amazing! The best part of the day was:
- The WWII workshop where we got dressed up
- When we got to try on the different gas masks
- When we got to play and hold all the different WWII artefacts
- We enjoyed having our photographs taken, pretending we were evacuees
- We enjoyed diving for cover when the air raid sirens went off
- It was interesting to see some of the shrapnel from some of the real WWII bombs
- We really enjoyed making our name tags
- It was interesting to learn about the different types of food that was available and what rations everyone was allowed.
What an interesting week we have had!