Blogs and News - St George's School For Girls, Edinburgh
Here’s a taster of some of our most recent activities and lunch time drop-in sessions
- U5s completed their Futurewise profiling … and await their interviews to learn more about study and career options
- Isabel McKeon visited from ACT (Ambition Centre for Training) to tell us about SQA courses in beauty therapy and make-up artistry
- Girls learned about a brand new course at Heriot Watt - BSc Geography – aiming to look at global solutions to problems
- Personal statement clinic for extra advice for UCAS applications
- Four girls attended an inspiring FUTURE AS5ET Conference and heard the first minister – not discussing politics!
- Eve Bishop came in to discuss careers in chemical engineering
Future AS5ET Feedback
Taylor attended the inspirational Future AS5ET Conference at the Edinburgh International Conference Centre. Here’s what she said:
Throughout the day we listened to many inspirational and successful women from a range of professions. They provided advice on careers, interviews – and other aspects of life. We also learned the sheer number of roles involved in just one asset management company. Importantly, we learned that each career path is unique and heard from women who went straight into the work force, to college, applied for apprenticeships and those who went the more traditional university route.
Emily, Prithi and Laura also said:
We attended a conference which introduced S5 girls to the financial sector. We listened to talks from the CEO of Virign Money, the young Scot of the year, Chelsea Cameron, and our first minister, Nicola Sturgeon. It was interesting and inspirational as they discussed the challenges they had faced as women in the world of work. We enjoyed seeing the range of jobs and careers available in the finance sector, including work in law and IT. We also learned about the benefits of investment banking and how to maximise networking and interview opportunities.
Altogether, we found the day both fun and informative. It has definitely opened our eyes to a wider range of opportunities available to us.
If you have any drop-in lunch time ideas, college, career or competition news, please be in touch with Steph Hall at firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow on Twitter @stgeCareers