Blogs and News - St George's School, Edinburgh
St George’s ran its first online Life Long Learning Conference this week for its senior pupils. Orchestrated by, Head of Careers, Mrs Hall, the programme for the whole day mixed live online speaker sessions with a range of mediums and online resources to help prepare the girls as they start to think about their next steps and how they will shape the next stage of their life beyond school.
The event started with a video recording from Alex Hems, Head, to welcome everyone to the event.
An excerpt from Mrs Hems’ welcome:
“There are some excellent presentations lined up for you today, all of which will help you to understand how you can navigate the application process most successfully, and what you should be looking for in the courses or routes that you choose. Our priority is always to ensure that each one of you has the information and support that you need to make the best choice for you. That might mean taking up the opportunities to study and to work at the same time offered by Degree Apprenticeships, it might mean a degree course that offers you the chance to study abroad for a year, or that includes a period of time working in industry.
Perhaps you have your heart set on a vocational course or training in the performing arts. It may be that you will be applying for a highly competitive course, which will require you to undertake entrance tests and demanding interviews. Or perhaps you will build a portfolio of qualifications through college courses before moving on to university, or perhaps going straight into employment. Some of you may be thinking of applying to study at universities overseas, and others may be planning a gap year first, before making your application.
All these routes are possible and we will support you through them to find the best outcome for each one of you. What we ask of you is that you take time to do your research carefully, to really think about what is right for you. This is your life, your opportunity."
Programme of events:
- Alison McCleery, Professor of Geography and Head of Research, Edinburgh Napier University: Keynote ‘There’s More Than One Way to Climb to Everest’
- Sandy Murray, Director of Apprenticeships: Heriot-Watt: Studying at Heriot-Watt, Courses and Graduate Apprenticeships
- Course, Choice, Application and Institution Library: with current students
- Interactive Session: Careers in STEM: industry insights, interview practice, support for writing a tailored motivation statement and Q and A - session with Uptree
- University of Northumbria: Exploring Higher Education Options with Sam Read
- Choosing a Course, Choosing a University: Personal Statements, Interview Skills and Why Go to University
- University of Dundee – Live presentation with Senior Student Recruitment Officer, Calum Fraser and current student with Q and A
- Interactive Session: Careers in Business and Finance: industry insights, interview practice, support for writing a tailored motivation statement and Q and A - session with Uptree
- Upper 6 Students’ Panel: Courses, Choices and Applications and Q and A